Thursday, September 15, 2016

Waterfowl Photography






Like many around Montana I love to hunt, especially waterfowl and upland birds. I decided to look up some tips on photographing waterfowl and I found a very helpful article in Popular Photography (link at the bottom). The author Shaun Cunningham suggests using 1/500 shutter speed or less and an IOS of 400. He does say that he will slow the shutter speed to 1/15 to 1/125 for some creative images of birds in flight. I also thought it was interesting that he makes sure not to put the waterfowl in the middle of the frame, if there is space in front of the bird it implies it is going somewhere. These are some interesting things to think about when I go out and try to photograph. I also picked these photographs to put on here because green heads have fascinating colors and I really hope to be able to photograph both of these guys. 



http://www.popphoto.com/how-to/2008/12/10-tips-dynamic-waterfowl-photos

No comments:

Post a Comment