Thursday, October 6, 2016

Slippery Ann Elk



The Charles M. Russell National Wildlife Refuge encompasses 1.1 million acres of badlands, cottonwood river bottoms, coulees, sagebrush and grassy prairies. This beautiful place is located only 70 miles south of my hometown. My father, being a wildlife biologist and working here for many years, likes to take me and show me around, even though it has changed in the 26 years sense he worked there. 
This time of year is very popular, especially the Slippery Ann Elk Viewing Area. Here hundreds of elk gather for breeding during September and October before they split off to get ready for winter. It has always been fun to go and watch this but sense being in college I haven't had the time to stop by. This weekend, weather and rain fall permitting, I hope to visit and snap a few pictures!


No comments:

Post a Comment